“Mom, can we make something? I want some strawberry muffins with nuts.” Um, okay. (I was thinking more along the lines of monster cookies, but whatever.)
What started as a simple request from the 5 year old quickly turned into this yumminess, adapted from allrecipes.com.
Strawberry Nut Muffins
- 1 cup oatmeal (I use old fashioned, but quick oats would be fine.)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat 1/2 white this time.)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (butter would work, also)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375°. Combine buttermilk and oats in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or so. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, beat together the egg, coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture. Add dry ingredients; mix just until combined.
Fold in strawberries and nuts. Scoop into greased muffin tins, 1/2 to 3/4 full. Bake for 20-25 minutes.