So close. This close. I am this close to raising teens in my house, and as the convenient house just a block from the school where our own children are so very active, I imagine we’ll be the hub for many years to come. And really, that’s what we want!
As The Hub, I’ve come to terms with random children in and out of my home at all hours, yard strewn with balls and bases, kitchen with plastic cups. Kids (some of them mine, some not so much) rummaging through my fridge and pantry for something to eat. And noise. Lots of noise. But what’s a little more noise with our Circus, right?
Last week after volleyball and cheerleading practice, the girls were hungry (of course!) so I put them to work making the stars and stripes sundae for this post. They stay busy, practice some kitchen skills, and get to eat ice cream. I get some work done. Winning!
Getting them to clean up before and after their kitchen projects? Well, I’m working on that one.
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup crushed blueberries
- 2 Tbsp. confectioners sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 cup roughly chopped strawberries
- 2 cups Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 Tbsp. crushed pretzels
- To make blueberry whipped cream either by hand or with a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, whisk cream, crushed blueberries and confectioners sugar until soft peaks have formed, about 5 minutes by hand and about 3 minutes with stand mixer.
- In an 8-inch sauté pan, combine water and granulated sugar with strawberries and cook on medium to high heat for about 5 to 6 minutes, until water and sugar create a syrup and strawberries begin to slightly breakdown.
- To make each sundae, spoon the warm sautéed strawberries onto the bottom of a small bowl. Top with ½ cup scoop of Breyers® Natural Vanilla Ice Cream. Add a small dollop of blueberry whipped cream and sprinkle with pretzels.
I’m also winning with Breyers ice cream. Breyers is committed to using high quality ingredients. Breyers Natural Vanilla is made with fresh cream, sugar and milk, and sustainably farmed vanilla beans. You know what? That’s exactly the ingredients I use when we make our own homemade ice cream. (By the way, this was one of our best investments ever. It’s quiet, requires no ice or salt, and makes homemade ice cream in under 30 minutes.)
Breyers Natural Vanilla is America’s No. 1 vanilla ice cream, and parents now have additional reasons to feel good about serving it to their family.
- Breyers now sources milk and cream from cows not treated with artificial growth hormones.*
- All Breyers vanilla is real and from sustainably farmed, Rainforest Alliance Certified vanilla beans.
- Breyers products are available in grocery stores nationwide for a suggested retail price of $3.99-$5.99. (Tip: If you can get it on sale and/or with a coupon, it’s less expensive than making your own!)
Be sure to follow Breyers on their social media links for recipe ideas, product information, coupons, and contests!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy ice cream? (If you haven’t tried my Buster Bar Dessert, do yourself a favor, and make it!)
*Suppliers of other ingredients such as cookies, candies & sauces may not be able to make this pledge. The FDA states that no significant difference has been shown between dairy derived from rBST-treated and non-rBST-treated cows.