Yes, you read that right. Spicy Tomato Bread. I am not even kidding.
I’d never heard of such a thing when Red Gold Tomatoes asked me to review their product and try out one of their recipes. Being the curious-minded cook that I am, though, and having all of the supplies in my pantry, I mustered up some courage and threw the odd combination of ingredients together.
Tasty…. (surprisingly), Check!
Spicy Tomato Bread
From Heartwarming Recipes for the Busy Cook (A Red Gold Cookbook)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/3 c. cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) can Red Gold Crushed Tomatoes (I used petite diced tomatoes because that’s what they sent me.)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each allspice, nutmeg, and ground cloves (or 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (toasted)
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- Mix sugars, oil, and eggs. Add tomatoes (undrained). Stir well.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl. Add to the tomato mixture. Mix well. Batter will be thin.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with the almonds. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until the center is done. (I had to bake it almost an hour.)
Want to try some Indiana-based Red Gold tomato products for yourself? Here’s the fun gift pack I received, and they want to send one to one of you, too!
Comment with your favorite way to eat tomatoes (recipe, style, whatever) and you’ll be entered to win. Bonus entry if you’ve ever made tomato bread! Random.org will pick my winner on Friday, January 15 at about 8:00 PM. Good luck!
Full Disclosure: The goodies you see above were a gift. I wasn’t compensated in any other way for this review.