Oh, friends. This is good stuff here! And with summer approaching, you’ll be happy to know the title says it all: Skillet Enchiladas. No oven necessary!
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 small onion
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (I make my own)
- 1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies
- 1-2 cans (I use about 2 cups homemade) refried beans
- 3/4 c. water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 8-10 flour tortillas (I’m sure corn tortillas would work, we just prefer flour)
- 2 1/2 c. shredded cheddar or Mexican Blend cheese
In the largest skillet you have 😉 , brown the hamburger and onion. Remove 1/2 of the hamburger/onion mixture (set aside). Stir in soup, enchilada sauce, milk, and chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the sauce is simmering, grab another skillet to make the filling. Warm reserved hamburger with refried beans, water, and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes. (Simmer longer if too thin, add more water if too thick.)
In each tortilla, spread about 1/4 c. beef/bean mixture and 1/4 c. cheese. Roll up; place seam side down on the meat sauce in the large skillet. Sprinkle all with cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted.
*** We love the taste and frugality of refried beans in our enchiladas. If your family is anti-beans, feel free to omit them, using another pound of beef instead.
This recipe is linked to