It nearly pained me to type “soda” up there, because it’s POP, people. POP. 😉
May completely got away from me, but I’m clawing my way back to writing before June escapes, too! Here’s a Keeping it Real review if you wish.
I don’t know too many people who don’t enjoy a little fizz every now and again, myself included. (Serve it up with some Sonic ice, and I’m your new BFF.) But pop? Yep. Pretty much on the naughty list, any way you pour it. And don’t be thinking that diet is better for you. It’s not! Aspartame may very well be the devil.
I’m all about calling a spade a spade, and sometimes I like to drink a little spade. So there. But for me, and for our kids, it’s mostly about the fizz. That cold fizz has some serious appeal!
While it may not cure your craving for Cherry Pepsi, I was reminded of this little Real(er) Food trick as I’m battling a nasty summer cold. (What’s next, right?) You know, with the icky congestion that gets caught in your throat? The kind that some fizz just “burns” away and it feels oh, so good?
Keep your fizz. Buy some club soda or seltzer water. It has no flavor. Just fizz. Add some flavor with 100% juice. Perfect solution? Perhaps not. Much better treat for the kids, for your icky throat, or for when you just need a little carbonation already?! Yep! I go about 3/4 fizzy water to 1/4 juice, but rock the combo that works for you!
April Grocery Total: $434.21
May Grocery Total: $456.82
- 5/04 Bulk Food Store $17.44 ~ 2 pounds yeast, liquid aminos, something else that I can’t remember…
- 5/07 Local Shop $9.08 ~ butter, sugar
- 5/05 WalMart $19.62 ~ I’m looking at the receipt, and don’t even remember what some of this is! Birthday stuff for Miss 10, I suppose. I do see sunflower seeds, trail mix, and ice cream. Then there’s “KAJ grape” and “KAJ kiwi strawberry” That was pre-Disney. I have no idea…
- 5/08 WalMart $48.78 ~ Lance was sick the day before we left for Florida. I have NO IDEA what all he bought, in addition to a prescription. I’m sure some of this wasn’t groceries, but I don’t have the receipt on me, so whatever. I’m thankful we don’t have to keep track THAT closely.
- 5/18 Dillons $73.42 (first shopping trip back from Disney!) ~ ballgame snacks, brown sugar, cheese, butter, Hebrew National hotdogs, eggs, ranch dressing, sugar, half and half, whipping cream (made ice cream!), milk, tortillas, potatoes, broccoli, lettuce, onions, oranges, apples, cucumbers, avocados
- 5/18 WalMart $46.77 ~ 5 plants for the garden, 3 “yes mom” field trip meals, peanut butter, garlic powder, frozen veggies
- 5/20 IGA $61.61 ~ 10 pounds bacon, rhubarb, roast beef, grilling sausages, and I can’t remember what else…
- 5/26 Dillons $68.41 ~ sausage, veggie sticks, milk, hot dogs, cheese (lots of cheese!), butter, cottage cheese, sour cream, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, eggs, tomato paste, unbleached flour, apples, bananas, sugar, brown sugar, oranges
- 5/29 Azure $111.69 ~ 5 lb. sunflower seed kernels, 5 lb. brown rice, case diced tomatoes, case tomato sauce, 25 pounds white whole wheat flour, 5 pounds raw cheddar cheese, 5 pounds baking powder
June Groceries So Far: $144.68
- 6/1 Tropical Traditions $38.00 ~ 12 pounds hamburger ~ I had credit, paid shipping only. (We were completely OUT otherwise, but I found meat! Lance is going to pick it up from the butcher right now!)
- 6/4 Walmart $19.22 ~ butter, eggs, bananas, milk, avocados, strawberries
- 6/6 Walmart $21.05 ~ bread, oranges, pickles, string cheese, crackers, bananas
- 6/9 Dillons $9.00 ~ grapes, graham crackers, wheat squares (softball tournament survival)
- 6/11 Dillons $30.74 ~ eggs, organic salad, potatoes, frozen peas, tortillas, milk, sour cream, bananas, oranges, yogurt, veggie sticks (I like to pretend these are a little better than chips…)
- 6/12 WalMart $22.05 ~ hamburger and hotdog buns, cinnamon, seltzer, juice, tuna, whipping cream, half and half, milk, potatoes, eggs, strawberries
- 6/12 Dillons $4.62 ~ because WalMart was OUT of bananas, and I found some brussel sprouts marked down
So… pop? soda? coke? What say you?