*** Out of 225 entries, congrats to McCormick Prize Pack Winner Jody (jodyscorner@)***
*** Team 6 (that’s US!) won the bake sale! Yipee! Thanks so much for your pins! ***
In this season of life, I am trying (many times unsuccessfully) to “Just Say No” to outside volunteer and joining opportunities, because when I say no to one thing, I’m essentially saying “Yes!” to something more important. So what’s a mom to do when she wants to help out but can’t really give more time outside the home? Sign up to bake! I’m your girl if you need a cake for a funeral dinner or treats for the concession stand. Hosting a bake sale fundraiser? We’re all over it!
McCormick sent me a whole host of spices and extracts to play around with for the bake sale, but one favorite flavor caught my eye.
It’s a grown up cookie for the bake sale! Bring on the coffee! I was inspired by McCormick’s Chocolate Chunk Mocha Cookie, and decided to switch it up with cinnamon spice and cinnamon baking chips. Yum!
Mocha Cinnamon Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Coffee Extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat butter and sugars in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and coffee extract; mix well. Add baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa powder; mix well. Stir in flour and then the cinnamon chips and walnuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until cookies are set. Cool on baking sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
Bake Sale Tips
No one wants anything left over on the bake sale table. Keep patrons grabbing for the goods with these tips:
- Change up the portion size and price accordingly. Instead of a plate full of brownies, pack a few individually with a pretty ribbon. Little kids with “lucky coins” (that’s what Mr. 3 calls his money) can buy a treat with their own money!
- Think savory. Sweets are popular, but savory cheese biscuits or herbed knotted rolls would be just the thing someone needs to go with dinner that night.
- Go gluten-free. Customers with special diets are often left empty-handed at bake sales. If you have a special gluten-free treat to share, make it and label it as such. Homemade jelly in pretty jars will disappear in a flash, too.
- No refrigeration required. Keep the banana cream pie back home to enjoy with the family. No one wants droopy goods that have sat outdoors in the sun for a few hours.
- Back to the basics. Homemade bread sells like hotcakes at bake sales! It’s practical, delicious, and something a lot of people just don’t have the time or know how to tackle on their own.
I’m on a team with 6 fun new-to-me bloggers for this Virtual Bake Sale. We’ve been drooling over each other’s photos all week, and decided that collectively, we very much like chocolate. 😉 Have a craving? We’ve got you covered! This bake sale happens to be a competition, and if you would repin my recipe (each repin is a “sale”) I would be ever so grateful!
PheMOMenon :: Chocolate Almond Sugar Cookies
Café Johnsonia :: Raspberries N Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Is This Really My Life? :: Chocolate Caramel Blondies
Lil’ Luna :: Chocolate Mint Cookies
Double Duty Mommy :: Truffle-Tini Wafer Brownies
Are you drooling with us?! There is so much inspiration for creative baked goods and more from McCormick. Follow their social media channels for easy dinner ideas, holiday treats, and cooking tips and tricks.
Pinterest (Virtual Bake Sale Board)
Win a McCormick Baking Creativity Kit (giveaway closed)
Part of the fun of this Virtual Bake Sale is that one of you will win a McCormick Baking Creativity Kit worth $75, including everything you need to be inspired year-round, like spices, extracts, food colors, baking tools and tip sheets. Enter in the form below!
Giveaway ends Sunday, September 29, at 11:59 pm, CST. Winner will be randomly drawn and notified by email. US addresses only, please.
Do you shop from or participate in bake sales? What goes over well in your area? What is your favorite item to take or buy?