As of yesterday at 3:30, the kitchen is finished! Well, the contract work is finished. We are still working on moving in, which means dragging up boxes and boxes of kitchen stuff from the basement, washing every bit of it (construction is messy!), putting away what we want to keep, and sorting things we don’t use/need for the donation box(es).
It’s fitting that this is happening in March. I feel like I’m doing some real spring cleaning for once! I don’t have any “after” photos for you yet, but this one taken at my desk is close. Let there be light! We moved the refrigerator in that day, and I may or may not have gone into the living room for food from the fridge a few times, forgetting that we have a kitchen. Oy.
Here’s what I have been and will be cooking in my kitchen this week:
- Sunday ~ Everyone was on their own as I snuggled a pitiful baby girl.
- Monday ~ fried eggs and muffins (from the freezer, a gift from my mom and aunt <— the muffins, not the freezer )
- Tuesday ~ oatmeal with raisins
- Rest of the week ~ lazy granola (need to make a batch today) with yogurt and blueberries, oatmeal, and hopefully I can scrounge up some more eggs soon
- Sunday ~ homemade waffles, scrambled eggs with sausage, fruit
- Monday ~ I ate homemade broccoli cheese soup late, the littles had cheese sticks, fruit, crackers, and cookies that grandma left
- Rest of the week ~ leftovers, grilled cheese sandwiches/tortillas and fruit
Dinners (We’re still keeping it very simple around here as we “move in” and get things situated. Also, trying to focus on inexpensive fare using what we have to boost our post-renovation budget a bit.)
- Sunday ~ stove popped popcorn and apples, because we have a stove!!! (I don’t know who was more excited, the kids or me.)
- Monday ~ tater tot casserole, mixed veggies
- Tuesday ~ loaded tostadas, apples
- Wednesday ~ blueberry pancakes, fruit
- Thursday ~ pork chops, roasted cauliflower and asparagus, rice
- Friday ~ remains to be seen, as we may be headed in at least two different directions for different events
As for the weekend, I believe, if nothing changes, that we will be home on Saturday for the first time in at least 6 weeks! (I lost count.) I’ll need to get groceries before then. Maybe I’ll see what meals the kids have missed most without a kitchen and fix those?! That could be fun!
What are your favorite meals when your grocery budget needs a break?