We just got home from “Crazy Christmas” weekend at my parents’. Kids everywhere (ages 9, 8, 8, 6, 6, 4, 3, 2, 2, 1, 8 months, and 7 months), food everywhere, beds everywhere, and no sleep. ;) So much fun! After eating like we did, though, I want to go on a cooking strike. I’m guessing the rest of my family will disagree.
This is week 1 of the Pantry Challenge, and in typical Amy fashion, I’m winging it. My immediate goal for the challenge is to take inventory of what we have in our freezers and pantry and start implementing that in our meals, but after a weekend away and company tomorrow after an ortho appointment for our oldest, it might take me a few days to start the projects. This week’s menu is based off of our schedule and what I know we have on hand without even looking.
Sunday, January 1 (nope ~ no black-eyed peas on the menu!)
- overnight breakfast casserole, mom’s cinnamon rolls, bacon, fruit
- a smorgasbord of New Year’s Eve leftovers: cocktail shrimp, 7 layer Tex-Mex dip, rotel dip, stuffed jalapeno appetizers, chicken strips, barbecue meatballs, artichoke dip, veggies and dip, and a bunch of sweet stuff
- baked steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, broccoli cauliflower salad, cucumber salad, veggies and dill dip, strawberry pretzel dessert, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie
Monday, January 2
- Santa Cereal for the kids, eggs and poppy seed dessert bread for mom and dad
- lunch out with my big girl, daddy’s got a fridge of leftovers to choose from
- we may go out to eat if our company’s still here, or we may scavenge the fridge and pantry and make out just fine, I’m sure
As for the rest of the week, school starts again on Tuesday, and I’m keeping it simple and focusing on using what we have as much as possible.
- oatmeal with apples
- lazy granola
- eggs with zucchini muffins
- I may try a breakfast recipe using quinoa; anyone have a good one?
- leftovers, salads, hard boiled eggs, popcorn, fruit
- taco soup or chicken noodle soup (fundraiser dinner at the ballgame)
- baked pork chops, pumpkin pie potatoes, peas
- something made with sticky chicken (mostly because I need to make more chicken stock!)
And that’s all I know. We won’t go hungry, but I do need to dig through my stash before I plan too far ahead. When I’m in town tomorrow I’ll need to grab some fruit and maybe some salad, but I’m hoping to keep it at that and use what we have. Here goes!