The kids and I returned tonight from a “cousins’ fun-fest” at my parents’ this weekend. After I heard last week that my brother’s four children would be staying all day Saturday and Sunday while their parents were at a weekend meeting, I called to ask if we could join them. My dad said, “Sure. (long pause) You’ll stay with them, right?” Hmmm… guess they weren’t up to keeping seven children ages 13 months to 6 years on their own! 😉
When that many kids are ruling the roost, and believe me… at grandma’s the the kids rule… the food is of the grab-n-go variety, there is much to choose from, and there’s lots of it!
We’ll try to tame things down for the rest of the week.
- 7 grain cereal, scrambled eggs with grilled sausage and peppers, cinnamon rolls
- an afternoon free-for-all buffet of peanut butter cookies, ice cream, turkey sandwiches, veggies and dill dip, pizza, fruit salad, grapes, potato soup… and when my brother and his wife arrived we added chocolate pretzels and chocolate-covered almonds to the mix ~ we did not go hungry 😉
- cheesy potato soup with ham, comfort muffins
- roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, carrots
- black bean quesadillas, fruit
- barbecue beef sandwiches on homemade buns, sweet potato fries, deviled eggs
- Italian cheese bread dipped in pizza sauce, fruit, veggies
- blueberry pancakes (buttermilk pancakes with blueberries added as they cook), scrambled eggs, bacon
- clean out the fridge
- nacho spuds, peanut butter banana smoothies
Have a great week! Be sure to check here for hundreds of menu plans and recipes.