Our last Azure order included 20 pounds of pears and 40 pounds of apples. The children have been eating their weight in fresh pears, but we probably need to work on the apples while they’re still crisp. I’ll be serving up lots of apple slices and other apple goodies this week, as well as making a batch or two of applesauce and maybe some fruit leather.
I talked my mom into saving the Thanksgiving turkey carcass for me, so I’ve got that simmering away for a second big batch of turkey stock. The first batch made our veggie beef soup. Whatever works!
I also baked our two remaining pumpkins and roasted the seeds. The kids requested pumpkin bread, so we tried a new-to-us Pumpkin Pecan Tea Bread from the church centennial cookbook. With both cream cheese and sour cream included in the ingredients, how could we go wrong?! Recipe coming…
Here’s what’s cookin’ this week.
- bacon, fried eggs, homemade hashbrowns, pears
- leftovers (Thanksgiving casserole or chili cheese baked potatoes), apple slices
- veggie beef soup, pumpkin pecan tea bread
Breakfasts (served with plenty of apple slices!)
- ham and cheese omelets
- scrambled or fried eggs and pumpkin bread
- fried apple baked oatmeal
- lazy granola
- apples with peanut butter
- leftovers (hopefully lots of soup!)
- baked potato with chili and cheese
- barbecue meatballs, oven fries, green beans
- ham and potato soup, apple crisp
- skillet enchiladas, corn, lettuce salad
- pork chops (I’m going to try brining them this time.), pumpkin pie potatoes, pears
- (movie night!) popcorn and blender ice cream
Wow, it was hard to plan the menu after a heavy eating week! If you need some inspiration, check out the plans linked to OrgJunkie.