Last week we had record temp in the 80s, and now that Spring Break has arrived, we’re back to the wind, the clouds, and the 50s. Ah, well. Such is life!
Today we’re making our Spring Break Work and Play list, and “spending lots of time in the kitchen” is not included, so we’ll likely keep it as simple as we can around here. I have no plans to go to the store anytime soon, so use what we have is also happening.
And here’s what we have:
Saturday, March 16
- blueberry pancakes with homemade syrup, scrambled eggs, oranges
- apples and peanut butter
- grilled hamburgers and brats, oven fries, kale chips
Sunday, March 17
- cereal for the kids before Sunday School ~ deluxe egg skillet (bacon, diced potatoes, peppers, eggs, cheese), poppy seed bread, oranges for us
- steak salad with homemade ranch and croutons, kale chips, cheesy oven fries
- stove popped popcorn, apples while we watch The Bible (Have you been watching?!)
We don’t have school this week, so we will probably go the route of two big meals (late breakfast and early dinner) with a lighter snack in between. I’m still setting my alarm for 6:00 (which may just kill me during spring break) so maybe the 2yo (since spring break or no spring break, he will still rise and shine early) and I can get some breakfast baking done each morning and fill the freezer. That would be fabulous!
Breakfast Options and Ideas
- English muffins, sausage, fried eggs
- blueberry muffins, scrambled eggs with sausage and cheese, apples
- waffles with fruit topping, eggs
- homemade granola (either as cereal or granola parfaits)
- french toast, fruit
Supper Options and Ideas (This is the kind of week when I really appreciate having a big freezer. I have all of this stuff handy and can make what I want whenever I need to make it.)
- ham and bean soup (I need to roast a sticky chicken tomorrow so that I can make another batch of chicken stock for this.), cheddar
- skillet spaghetti (recipe coming), french bread, salad
- pizza braid, carrot sticks
- chicken fried rice (Lance has requested that we have this almost weekly. Frugal, fast, and healthy. I can do that!), blender ice cream
- something meatless ~ if we get to the store before Friday, I’ll do fish and chips.
What does your spring break look like? Big trips? Day trips? Fun things at home? Work at home? What spring break?