“I’ll climb in the jungle to get some more for you, mom!”
My kids had a blast today catching up on tomato pickin’ after 3 inches of rain in a day and a half halted our harvesting for a bit. We were back at it this afternoon, gathering apples and okra and lots and lots of tomatoes. Found a few more bright orange pumpkins, too!
This morning I finished off our pears by creating a healthified (is that a word?) version of this pear muffin recipe. I got to use some of my very first batch of homemade applesauce! Here’s my new recipe:
Healthified Pear Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil (I used Canola)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 cups peeled chopped pears
Combine dry ingredients in one bowl. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl. Mix together. Batter will be stiff and a little dry, but don’t panic! Fold in pears last… they’ll provide adequate sweetness and moisture. Fill muffin tins (recipe made 24 muffins). Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Enjoy!
- scrambled eggs with cheese, zucchini muffins
- cheesy potato soup, pear muffins
- shredded beef and black bean nachos, smoothies
- beans and cornbread (I’ve NEVER eaten this meal before — ever! Crazy, huh?)
- cavatini (I’ll post the recipe Wednesday), corn, salad, breadsticks (new to me)
- Mexican Chicken Skillet, sauteed squash and onions (didn’t get to this last week)
- pizza braid, apples slices with homemade caramel apple dip
- game night — leftovers
Friday Post Game Party at Our House! (here’s to positive thinking that we will be celebrating!)
- shrimp spread with crackers
- other appetizer-type party foods as I think of them throughout the week…
- biscuits and gravy, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs (team breakfast)
- clean out the fridge
- out of town for a Juco football game — I’ll pack snacks for the game, including homemade graham crackers that I made for the first time last week. They are awesome!
Have a great week! Steal lots of great menu ideas over at OrgJunkie!