Last week I had a Crummy Day. It happens, and it’s okay. What’s not okay is to let it be the norm. To wallow in it, making myself and everyone around me miserable. Here are some strategies to break out of the funk and redeem the Crummy Day!
After my husband put the kids to bed that Crummy Night, we had a little sit down. It’s good to talk things through, and if you can’t talk it out, write it out. You may discover
- why things went south the way they did
- that it’s really not all that bad
- how to eliminate or tackle frustrations
Just putting into words what was bothering me helped me to understand it better and come up with a “next time” strategy. One thing that I figured out for my particular situation was that in addition to the Reset Monday home tasks at hand, my biggest VA commitments fall on Mondays. With a little rearranging, I was able to spread things out a bit to avoid the Craze.
Rise and Shine
As much as it hurts to rise before the sun (and the kids), 90% of the time I’m glad I did. The other 10%, I’m glad I stayed in bed and got some sleep. The whole “Rise and Shine” rule is a sucky one for people who aren’t, for some reason in whatever season, getting good sleep at night. Use at your own discretion, and sleep when you can!
When I do get up early, I do it to accomplish things I cannot do with clingy children at my side. Example: I can read and have quiet time while nursing the baby when she wakes up, so I don’t do that in the wee hours, but I cannot write a blog post or wash the windows with her help. (Um, no, you won’t likely find me washing windows at 5:30 in the morning, either, but whatever.)
Don the War Paint and Armor
A lot of times on Crummy Days I’ll discover that I’m still in my night clothes (t-shirt and shorts) with no makeup, hair unbrushed, face unwashed, at noon. It happens, and I’ll be the last in line to criticize anyone else for it, but I feel better when I have my war paint on and I’m not afraid to answer the surprise doorbell.
This may very well be a fake it ’til you make it strategy, but getting dressed and ready for the day early in the day does so much for my disposition!
Read a Good Book
One way that my tablet has come in super handy is for reading while nursing. I have no earthly idea what I’ll do when I’m no longer nursing (if it’s important, I’ll make time, right?!) but those minutes when I really must sit and be still are a blessing. Keep a good book handy. Maybe even The Good Book. Just a short read is all it takes to be inspired and refreshed.
Sometimes I forget to play with my kids. That sounds terrible, but don’t get me wrong. I don’t ignore them. They beat on bowls with wooden spoons while I’m cooking. They play with rubber duckies in the tub while I’m putting on my makeup and cleaning the bathroom. We’re together pretty much all the time, but sometimes I forget to stop the multi-tasking insanity and just play!
Bubbles will do the trick. So will swinging or a ride in the wagon, coloring, play doh, and block towers. There are things around the house and on the internet that tug and pull all day. I totally get that and a lot of it truly must be done. But sometimes it doesn’t have to be done right this very minute. Play.
Besides the whole Mom of the Year factor, fresh cookies right out of the oven just do something good for the spirit. If you can swing it, bake something.
Sing and Dance
The absolute best thing I did for myself that Crummy Day was to exercise. Endorphins are real, friends. Sometimes it’s the very last thing I want to do or I think I have time for, but I never ever regret exercising. If the kids are in the way, put some music on and dance together, or go for a long walk with the stroller. Just move. (especially if you’re eating all of the freshly baked cookies )
Diffuse the Mood
I don’t talk about them much here yet, but I am big puffy heart loving my essential oils. I have Thieves and Citrus Fresh diffusing together right now. There are oils available specifically for mood lifting. Wear those suckers as perfume and diffuse them through the whole house when Cranky comes to visit! The benefits are endless!
It won’t make the baby’s teeth come in any faster, but give thanks. Always. Your yucky stuff, your crummy days, they are real. It’s not shameful to be in a funk knowing that others have it so much worse. Your stuff is your stuff! It’s not a competition! However, thanksgiving puts it all in perspective, and a little perspective (and some chocolate) is often all we need.
How do you Redeem your Crummy Days?