I have to credit my friend Amy  for revolutionizing my bread making a couple months ago. After reading her grandma’s whole wheat bread recipe I asked and then asked again. Really? Only one rise?
Yes! Only one short rise.
This bread is 100% whole wheat, made from real food ingredients, delicious, and can be made much quicker than other recipes I’ve tried. Win-Win-Win!
Honey Whole Wheat Bread
- 2½ cups very warm water
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
1. Beat together water and flour at medium speed.
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
2. Stir together water, yeast, and honey. Let rise until double. Add to flour and water mixture.
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5½-6½ cups white whole wheat flour
3. Stir melted butter, honey, and salt into the flour mixture. Add flour. Knead for several minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Separate dough into 3 balls. Shape into loaves. Place in 3 greased medium-sized loaf pans. Allow to rise 10-20 minutes in a warm oven. (I just leave my oven light on.)
5. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake bread for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush each loaf with melted butter (or rub a stick of cold butter over each loaf). Remove from the pans to cool.