My husband is one of the least picky, most gracious eaters I know, but he’s truly a meat and potatoes guy. He’ll eat a lettuce salad if that’s what I fix, but I’m no dummy. To make it appealing, and to make it dinner, it needs to be big and it needs to have a lot of flavor, texture, and… meat.
How to build a dinner salad.
We break out the big bowls for this one! A true meal-in-a-bowl, I serve it with fresh fruit of some sort and call it the “light” meal of the week… or month. 😉
Grilled Steak Salad
1. Any combination or amount of greens – we like green leaf lettuce or romaine, and spinach
2. Other fresh, chopped veggies – carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, tomatoes
3. Chopped meat – we like grilled steak or chicken (bacon is tasty, too)
4. Other protein – hard boiled eggs or beans, shredded or cubed cheese
5. Crunch – homemade croutons, sunflower seeds
6. Dressing – it’s almost always homemade ranch at our house
This is what goes over well at our house, with my husband and children. As for me… I go crazy over a spinach, craisins, feta cheese combo topped with a vinaigrette. I know better than to try to serve that to my family, though. 😉
Do you make any main dish salads? What’s your favorite combination?