As an early 10th anniversary gift, I promised Lance I would throw any scheduling out the window for our weekend getaway. I lied. Never an advocate for lying to your spouse (especially when celebrating 10 years of marriage), I had to make an exception to my rule. The first thing I did when we got to the hotel (um, the second thing… after checking out our jacuzzi 😉 ) was to call the movie theater hotline to see when Fireproof was showing.
You see, it’s been at least 2 1/2 years, yes… years, since we’ve seen a movie in an actual movie theater. It may be more like three years, or more… but our life before Tiny Town (we moved here 2 1/2 years ago) is quickly becoming a blur. Funny thing, this sad statistic didn’t bother me in the least (there’s not much out there that I’d fork over a $7.00 matinee ticket for… and, by the way, when did it become $7.00 to watch a matinee? good grief!) until Fireproof came out. I wanted to see that movie, and I wanted to see it in a theater! So, the one scheduled weekend event was a trip to see Fireproof.
We were not disappointed. Although (praise God!) we walked into the theater with a strong marriage, Fireproof inspired us to put forth the effort it takes to demonstrate our unfailing love to each other and to be bold in sharing it. To be bold in sharing the source of our love; our foundation. And it reminded us that seemingly small, insignificant negative actions and words can build up to marital disaster.
Watching the couple interact at the beginning of the movie was painful. It reminded me that I take for granted the solid foundation on which our marriage is built. The going got tough in this movie… very tough; but love, true love based on the One who gave everything for love, wins. Love wins! How encouraging is that?!?
All this to say, going to see Fireproof really worked for me! I am proud to support this excellent film, its actors, directors and producers. Hooray for them for bucking the system and making a quality movie worth paying to see. Here’s how you can support Fireproof:
- If you haven’t already, go see Fireproof. Maybe during the long Thanksgiving weekend some of you will have extra relatives around who would love to babysit! It is money and time well spent.
- Buy the DVD when it comes out on January 27, or pre-order it. I’m thinking it would make a fun Valentine’s Day gift.
- Visit fireproofmymarriage.com and check out the amazing resources for your marriage and for you to share with others.
- Download Fireproof widgets, web banners or icons to show your support of this movie on your blog.
- Tell your friends about Fireproof and the impact it had on you. You never know who might need to hear about this movie.
Visit Rocks in my Dryer for more Works for Me Wednesday.