I’m not a packrat. Really, I’m not. But even though you couldn’t tell it with a quick glance in our front rooms, somehow our closets are full, our drawers are difficult to open, and our “only good for storage” basement is filled with stuff.
I’m not a big fan of stuff, and I don’t know how we have so much that we don’t need.
2010 will be the end of the unneeded stuff in my home. If we don’t use it regularly, love it, or know we want to keep it for some valid reason, it’s outta here!
One of my goals for the new year is to get rid of 730 items in my home. Why 730? That averages out to be 2 items per day for the 365 day year. That’s a whole lotta stuff! I’m not talking about regular trash or food items, either. Each thing that I part with will either be
- sold on ebay, Craigslist, or at a garage sale (my sister’s having one this spring)
- donated to Goodwill (after the garage sale)
- taken to the thrift “boutique” in a nearby town
- given as a gift (Yes, I do have some brand new baby things that we never used. Tags still on!)
- tossed (think broken toys or other items that won’t sell)
Any bold challenge such as this needs a few parameters. Here are mine.
- food doesn’t count (even food donations or gifts)
- regular trash doesn’t count
- 2 items per day average – I may get rid of 200 things one month and very little the next.
There’s no need to go to all the trouble of setting big goals without a payoff in the end. My payoff?
- Less stuff to manage, clean, organize, and work around. I have better things to do with my time!
- Gratitude for our abundance. We have so much more than we need, and this will be a good reminder.
- Opportunities to give. I don’t need all this stuff, but someone else might.
- Peace that comes with clean, uncluttered space.
- Opportunities to reiterate to my children that the Finer Things in Life aren’t things!
Honestly, I don’t even know if I have 730 unused items in my home. This goal may be a stretch. You know what, though? Goals should be a stretch, and I’m going to give it a go! Want to join me or follow my progress? I’ll leave updates on my Facebook Fan Page and report back here monthly.
Want to be inspired to “get it together” this year? Join Mandi as she posts 31 days of organizing for a better 2010!
What are your audacious goals for 2010?
This post is linked to