Huge thanks to my friend Lynn for this guest post and recipe! I’m not even sure when it was that I ate my first black bean, but I bet it wasn’t more than 10 years ago. We were a meat and potatoes family growing up, and it was only my adult loves of frugality and Mexican food that lead me to lovin’ the bean!
With all the rich holiday food we consume at this time of year and extra expense of the season, it’s nice to have a frugal, filling meal to fall back on.
I love these creamy crock pot black beans because they are perfect served on their own, but they also work well with a bowl of rice or served with Mexican type food. These black beans are also very inexpensive to make and are full of flavor.
Start them first thing in the morning and they will be ready at dinner time. It cannot get much easier than that!
Creamy Crock Pot Black Beans
- 1 lb black beans, soaked over night
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 5 pieces of bacon, uncooked
- Place soaked bean, (that have been rinsed and drained) and remaining ingredients in a crock pot. (I just lay the pieces of bacon on top of the beans. )
- Add about 8 cups of water or enough to cover beans.
- Cook on low for 8-9 hours or until beans are tender.
- Serve on their own, with rice, or as a side dish to quesadillas or homemade taquitos
What is your favorite way to eat black beans?
Lynn loves to cook and try new recipes. She lives in Oklahoma on 43 acres with her husband and three children. She blogs at Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures sharing recipes, tips, and ideas to help you blend cooking for your family with a busy life. Download Lynn’s FREE Christmas Recipes Ebook.