I’ve missed this casserole! I remember enjoying it as a child, but looking at all of my family and church cookbooks I realized that the recipes all called for minute rice and fake cheese. While we’re not the healthiest of healthy, I try to only use real cheese and whole grain rice in my dishes.
What to do? Make up my own! Let me know if your family likes it as well as mine did.
Cheesy Broccoli and Rice with Chicken
- 2 c. cooked whole grain rice (Tip: cook your rice in chicken broth or with some ham juice for extra flavor. I used a little ham juice and water.)
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1 c. cream of mushroom soup (1 can would work fine, too)
- 1 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
Mix together in a large bowl. Pour in a 8×11 or 9×13 pan. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.