Although I strive to get up and around at 6:00 in the morning, that sometimes isn’t early enough to get my husband out the door with a hot breakfast. Go ahead and roll your eyes, but it’s important to me that I feed him right! These breakfast burritos are a favorite at our house because they can be made up ahead of time. When he has to leave early, he can grab one out of the freezer, warm it up, and be on his way with a hearty meal.
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/3 c. chopped onion
- 1/3 c. chopped green pepper
- 1 c. chopped fresh mushrooms
- 18 eggs
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- 1 c. chopped ham (browned sausage is tasty, too!)
- 1 t. seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican blend, whatever)
- 12 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- Saute onion, green pepper and mushrooms in butter.
- Beat eggs and milk together. Pour in skillet with veggies.
- Add ham, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set.
- Add cheese. Allow to melt.
- Warm a few tortillas at a time in the microwave.
- Scoop 1/2 to 3/4 c. egg mixture into a warm tortilla. Roll up burrito style.
- Wrap burrito in a paper towel, then in a sheet of foil.
- Pack wrapped burritos in a ziplock bag. I use the tortilla bag. Freeze.
- To reheat, remove foil. Place burrito with paper towel in microwave. Cook about a minute.
- Serve with salsa.
- Makes about 1 dozen burritos.
The beauty of breakfast burritos is their versatility. Add whatever ingredients you like or just use what you have on hand. Potatoes, different cheeses, olives, green chilies… it’s all good!
What tasty ingredients do you add to your breakfast burritos?