Providing teacher and school staff holiday gifts always sneaks up on me, probably because school tends to let out a week before Christmas. Although I do put together a separate gift for my child’s classroom teacher, it’s simply not financially feasible for us to purchase gifts for everyone in the building who contributes to the learning environment. And that, as far as I’m concerned, is everyone!
My solution? Cinnamon rolls! I made three dozen rolls last night to put in the teachers’ lounges.
Here is the recipe I use when I need a large batch of rolls.
Big Batch Cinnamon Rolls
- Mix 3 cups hot water with 3 T. yeast and 3/4 cup sugar. Let sit a couple minutes to activate yeast.
- Add 2 c. flour. Mix.
- Add 3/4 c. oil, 1 t. salt, 3 eggs. Mix.
- Add 7 cups flour, a couple at a time. Mix and then knead until all flour is incorporated, and dough isn’t sticky.
- Set dough in a LARGE greased bowl. Let rise until double.
- Divide dough in 1/2. Roll out one 1/2 into a long rectangle.
- Spread rectangle with softened butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar, white sugar, and cinnamon. Roll up.
- Floss the roll into 18 pieces.
- Edited: I forgot! Let the rolls rise again, about 30 minutes!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 1/4 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1 T. vanilla
- 3 T. milk
- sifted powdered sugar
Mix together until easily spreadable.
No time to bake rolls? Need a different idea? Try one of these:
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix you provide a big container of mix and cups for the office or lounge, they’ll find the hot water 😉
- Spiced Tea Mix same concept, different beverage
- A box of those cute itty bitty oranges from the store. I think ours are even called “Cuties.” Those always go over well.
- A divided tray with mixed nuts, dried fruit, candy, etc.
It’s not so important what you do, but it is important to recognize and appreciate the people who spend so much of their day educating your children. What ideas do you have? I’d love to have more gift ideas for large groups of people.