A full pantry. A full freezer. We are fully blessed, and we have a bit of a mess.
Living where we do, in the Land of No Takeout or Grocery Stores, it’s important to be prepared. Stocking up on the basics is essential to eating well in a Tiny Town, because we don’t have the time or desire to be driving 40 miles round trip for pasta sauce, and our neighbors only have so many cups of sugar to lend.
While a fully stocked pantry and freezer are certainly a blessing, an over-stuffed, unorganized pantry isn’t doing anyone any favors. That’s why I was thrilled when Jessica asked about teaming up for a Summertime Pantry Challenge. I’m in!
The beauty of this challenge is that there are no rules. No guidelines. Just a challenge to make good use of your current food stores. Here’s what I plan on doing during July.
- Take inventory of the deep freeze, both refrigerator freezers, and pantry.
- Organize our food storage spaces for better functionality.
- Clear space for the 1/4 cow and 1/2 hog we have coming our way.
- Plan meals around what we already have lurking in our pantry and freezers.
- Spend less at the store to make up for the meat expense.
- Incorporate garden produce (our own and/or what friends and neighbors share) into our meals.
Nothing extreme. I’m not banning myself from the store. I’m not going to ask my family to smear peanut butter on pasta and call it lunch. I just want to be more mindful of using what we already have before I rush out to snag the next best deal. I want to organize our food blessings so nothing goes bad and goes to waste.
Fortunately for me, I’ve got a Pantry Challenge support group. Want to join us? Here’s where you can find everyone else:
- Erin from $5 Dinners – cleaning up/clearing out
- Jen from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam – NO spend, cleaning up/clearing out, eating from the garden
- Shaina from Food for My Family – cleaning up/clearing out, eating from the garden
- Lynn from Lynn’s Kitchen Adventures – cleaning up/clearing out, eating from the garden
- Tammy from Tammy’s Recipes – NO spend
- Jessica from Good Cheap Eats – cleaning up/clearing out
We’ll be writing each week, cheering you on as you tackle your very own Pantry Challenge.