- The Finer Things in Life - http://amysfinerthings.com -

A Day in the Life ~ January

{Don’t miss the Day in the Life party at Simply Rebekah [3]!}

My very favorite comments and emails from readers are the ones that say they appreciate that I keep it real around here.  You get the good, the bad, and the ugly, my friends, and I truly do hope you feel at home in our crazy, wonderful mess of a life!

One of my blogging goals this year is to bring you more of what day-to-day life looks like for us.  My plan is to blog a full “Day in the Life” post on the 15th(ish — because if I’m truly keepin’ it real, I may forget until the 20th) of every month of 2013.

And today… I remembered!  Yee-haw!

The day actually started before yesterday ever ended.  Last I was up (again), the clock read 1:22 a.m. and I was in bed with a crying 5yo whose “legs huuurrrrt.”  She’d been crying on and off for the better part of the last two hours (I suspect growing pains), so I rubbed her down with some PanAway [4]oil and told her (in my “I’m trying hard to be patient here, but it’s the middle of the night already!” voice) she was keeping everyone up with her incessant crying.   (PS ~ This is the same child who cries out frequently in the middle of the night and doesn’t remember a bit of it in the morning.)  Don’t know if it was the oil or the exhaustion (from both of us!), but she quieted down immediately and slept the rest of the night.

6:25 came awfully soon, but at least it came with the sounds of a happily awake baby and the sight of a gummy grin.  Soon following, right across the hall, was the pitter patter of a 2yo.  “Good Morning, Mommy!  I wake up!”

7:00 ~ I nursed the baby back to sleep and started (later than planned) breakfast for everyone else.  We’re all fighting some congestion, so milk isn’t a good idea right now.  Scrambled eggs with sausage, and homemade hashbrowns [5] it is!  It was about 7:15 when I realized today’s the 15th and I needed to find the camera for my January Day in the Life post.


After serving up breakfast, I gathered my clothes and headed to the shower at 7:24, only to be thwarted by “Mommy, I have poops.  Change them, please?”


Took care of the poops and got him dressed for the day, which actually worked out great because we needed to be out the door before 8:30.  I am pushing my luck this morning!

Finally hit the shower after 7:30, which happens to be the worst possible time of day for me to shower.  I was interrupted by knocking and brushing of teeth no less than 15 times from people of all ages trying to get out the door to school.  I had to grin, though, when the 1st grader was reading me his homework while I was washing my hair.  Such is life.  (Dear Jesus, if you see fit for us to have an extra bathroom in the near future, somehow, some way, I would be eternally grateful.  Amen.)


My new socks are all sorts of fun!

I hopped out of the shower, threw a towel around my head, and wished my school kids a happy day at 7:55, thankful again that I never ever have to drive them to school.


I’m hungry, and the irony is blaring.  We need to make our farm run for milk rightthisveryminute, and there is no time for Mama to eat.  Do as I say, not as I do. [6]  We don’t have tortillas or buns (Oh, shoot!  Yes we DO have hamburger buns that I completely forgot about.  Pita pockets, too!  All in the freezer.  Would have made a perfect breakfast sandwich.  Grrrr) so coffee with caramel flavor and cream, it is.

I run Mr. 2yo out to the car and come back in to grab the sleeping baby out of her bed (<——— how much do I HATE doing that?!) to go get milk.  Milk that we shouldn’t even drink if we continue with the congestion.  Geez.


Really, mom?!

We hopped in the suburban and I remembered this.  Call me brave… call me stupid.  Whatever.  Our farm trek is about 35 miles round trip.  Surely we’ll make it.  Besides, it’s 15° outside!  Ignore the tire light. We need to fix that.


Rather peaceful, that trip.


Snagged my milk and headed back to town.  The kids were good, so I figured I may as well get gas.  Besides, the temp has now risen to a balmy 18° and I wanted to show some of you why I don’t pay for gas with cash.


And there ya have it.  My “gas station.”  Funny thing is they upgraded to digital since the last time I filled up!  I was shocked!  Before it was the pumps that had the rolling numbers.  I’m so bummed I didn’t get a picture of those!

After a quick stop at the post office, we got home at 9:30. I hauled the milk and diaper bag in, then hauled the nearly-asleep toddler in, then the baby.  Who else makes three trips with every outing?  (That’s why we like to stay HOME, people!) After feeding the baby again, I was finally able to sit down (who am I kidding?!) eat my breakfast while trying to salvage the kitchen around 10:00.  Shortly after, I put the baby down for a nap and got busy.


Ahem.  Breakfast remains.  Okay, fine.  Last night’s supper, too.  You caught me.  It’s all swept up now, though!  I got some basic clean up done in our front rooms in between “Catch it, Mommy!” truck stunt driving with the boy.


What is my problem with plants?!  I am just so “out of site, out of mind” even when it’s in plain sight.  Ugh.  Need to work on that.

The internet guy was scheduled to arrive between 10 and noon.  He called at 11:30 to assess the problem and make sure he needed to drive out.  Internet even slower after an upgrade = he came out.  An hour later I was all fixed up.  We hope. 

Baby’s sleeping.  Got The Tyrant down for a nap just before 1:00 and sat down with my Thieves tea to get some computer work done.


At 1:22 I hear happy squawking from the bedroom.  Twenty-two minutes is not enough time to get my computer work done, just in case you were wondering.  😉


“What?!  What’d I do?”  So we settled in with the laptop in our favorite chair.


Note the roman shade on the floor in the background?  The cord (that lifts and lowers it) keeps breaking, so I gave up.  When I want shade, I hang it on the velcro.  When I want sun, I rip it down.  Classy!  Also, the hair.  No, I have not had my hair cut since before the baby was born.  It’s been 6 months now!  I want to do something with it, but I don’t know what.  And… I’m growing rather fond of the ease of the pony tail.  Hmmm.  Ideas?

2:15 ~ Oh, little Tyrant.  a 1 hour 15 minute nap is really not long enough, but your sweet “Good morning, Mommy!” complete with hug, may have just bought you some movie time. (Yes, I know he’s a Tyrant because I am a Sucker!)

3:25 ~ Big kids walk in the door, to the tune of, “The kids are here!”  I’ll never tire of that.  My husband walks in the door shortly after, and I head to the school for some Booster Club hospitality hostess duty.  Basically I chatted with people and made sure the food didn’t walk away before the tournament staff could eat it.  It was a vacation.

5:30 ~ Got home and nursed the baby, put her down for a nap, then started supper.  Chicken fried rice [7] tonight.  Cheap, easy, quick, healthy, tasty.  Lance asks, “Why is it we don’t have this at least once a week?”  Hmmmm.  Good thought!  By the time supper was ready, it was after 6:30.  We fed the kids and tidied up the kitchen, then sent them off to play while we ate and watched our date night show, NCIS.  Total guilty pleasure, and it was good tonight!

In the midst of all the supper preparations, we realized our phone isn’t working.  The phone and the internet are now hooked up together, and the internet got “fixed” this afternoon.  Oh, wait.  It doesn’t work now, either!  {rolls eyes}  I’ll spare you the gory details.  Lance put the kids to bed while I was dealing with said details.

Our little guy is coughing and congested, so I quick rubbed him down with oils and got the diffuser started.  The girls asked for a diffuser, too, so I got one going in there.  By 9:00 I was just ready to sit down and get some work done!  Um, without internet, that wasn’t happening.


I took advantage of the quiet (4 kids in bed, one baby rocking, hubby at a late ballgame) and read some encouragement.  Turns out I am fully equipped to handle any trouble thrown my way.  (And so are you!)  How about that.  😉


I was eventually able to bypass the wireless router and get some internet straight through the modem, so here we sit at 10:06.  So much for going to bed early tonight!  (And yes, my living room really does look like that right now.  Ugh.)

I’ve got a sponsored post that needs to be written before I go to bed, and then I’m headed that way.  Lance is home and doing his rock the baby to sleep duty.  I may take a bubble bath detour before I hit the hay, but it’s looking like another 11:00 night, or later.  Yuck.

Just keepin’ it real!